Thursday, July 1, 2010

We're still here!




Yep, I'm seriously terrible at this blog thing (as my Uncle Ken so nicely pointed out :)). However tonight I happen to be down a kid as Nathan is staying with mamaw and papaw so I actually have a bit of time to update.

I've also added a couple of random pictures just for fun!

Nathan is continuing to make such tremendous progress. He is now speaking in 4,5 and 6 word phrases and is actually using a few sentences. We are really working on proper pronouns and function words (and, the, etc.) and he is beginning to use them properly. His vocabulary is unbelievable and according to his therapists is at or above age level. He's also beginning to speak more clearly, although I'm not sure how much an outsider would really understand. Oh, and a huge milestone is that he can now sing the ABC song! He can also count to 20 and sing along to so many different songs on tv or cd. We took a video of him singing the ABC's and Humpty Dumpty that I need to get on here for you all to see.

From a medical front, Nathan has undergone multiple tests to get to the root of his gut issues. He had 8 vials of blood drawn, 7 stool samples and 2 urine samples and the result is that he is not digesting disaccharides. So for the past three weeks he has been on a very strict diet with no sucrose or lactose. Basically we have had to cut out most sugar and dairy, which isn't the easiest thing to do with a two year old. It's not easy on the parents or grandparents either since we can't eat anything in front of him! The results have been pretty amazing however as he has had normal poop, far fewer stomach aches and no more vomiting! So we'll keep going down this path for a few months and then hopefully we'll be able to start adding some things back into his diet.

So there's the latest update. He's talking extremely well, feeling pretty good and funnier than ever. Most of you probably saw this on facebook, but the other night we were sorting laundry and I threw one of his shirts across the room into a clothes basket. He immediately said, "No throwing mommy. Bad boy! Go timeout now!" and proceeded to take my hand and walk me to the timeout chair. He then told me how throwing was a bad boy and counted to three and said "Get up!" The entire time I was thinking how I shouldn't let him think he is in charge but at the same time I was finding so much humor in the situation, I couldn't really stop him.

He has also just started saying "I love you" which melts my heart. Sometimes when I tell him I love him he says "to moon and back". He is such a sweet boy and is SO good to his brother even when he's being typical Logan. Now that he's walking he thinks he can do everything Nathan can do, but really all he does is destroy everything Nathan is doing. :)

Lastly, I wanted to address a comment that was left on the last post. I apologize, as I just now saw it (serious blog slacker here). Anyway, this is the dosage recommended by those who are doing studies on fish oil and apraxia and we have also cleared it with his doctor. If you have any concerns about the proper dosage for your child, I would just address it with the doctor and they should lead you in the right direction. Hope that helps! Good night everyone (if anyone still reads this!) and God Bless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment